In this course, we have been learning about the different time periods of policing. Based on the current climate, there is a level of distrust today between the police and the public. Riots, marches, and protests in response to high-profile police shootings have eroded the relationships that were built through community policing. With the hopes of improving police efficiency and finding new approaches to working together with the public, we move into a new period of policing.
Using the Internet links provided this week and your textbook look at the different periods of policing up to today. Based on the changing role and function of police officers over the years, address the questions below, ending with the current state of policing and how it is affected by technology.
Use the Policing in America Template [DOCX] in which you will:
- Examine different periods of policing and discuss their main strengths and weaknesses.
- Identify the period of policing that you believe has had the greatest impact, and justify why you feel that is.
- Explain how technology affects policing in today’s society, including both the pros and cons.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Summarize the history and impact of key policing eras.