Economic Development 03
1. Assume you are hired by the The United Nations Children’s Fund as a development economist. Your assignment is to travel to Sudan (a resource-rich, agricultural, and poverty-stricken country) to write a report about the extent of poverty and propose policies that can help reduce poverty. Your assignment is two fold: (a) to analyze the economic and social reasons why some people of this rich country are poor; and (b) to develop a set of policy measures that could help reduce poverty and improve income distribution.
2. Assume the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has hired you as a development economist. Your assignment is to travel to Jamaica, where people living in rural areas rush to migrate to the capital city of Kingston. Write a report on causes of rural-urban migration and propose policies that can help reduce such a massive movement of population. Your assignment is twofold: (a) to analyze the economic and social reasons why rural people of this country are leaving their hometowns and villages; and (b) to develop a set of policy measures that could help reduce rural-urban migration.
Important Instructions FOR two questions:
Write a detailed essay of about 500 words to answer each question based on textbook reading. Write the beginning and ending page numbers of the textbook at the outset of your answer.
1. Is rapid population growth a “cause” or an “effect” of poverty? Explain. Why do some developing countries have not been able to reduce rapid population growth and poverty? Give examples. What policies would you recommend to reduce population growth?
2. Describe and depict the theory of the demographic transition. At what stage in this transition do most developing countries seem to be? Explain your answer and give examples.
3. To what extend the Third World women contribute to economic development? How can improvement in the economic and social status of women contribute to economic development? Use your country-study assignment as a case study for the role of women in economic development.
4. What are the principal sources of economic growth? How do you illustrate economic growth using the Production Possibility Curve? Depict and explain the effects of technological improvement in production of two goods: one land-intensive (e.g., rice) and the other capital-intensive (e.g., radio). Depict and explain the effects of persistent unemployment in production of rice.
For each question, write a detailed essay of about 300 words to answer each question based on textbook reading. Write the beginning and ending page numbers of the textbook at the outset of your answer.